Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Why Do...

  1. #1
    Inactive Member SimplySophia's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 9th, 2006
    Posts
    140
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    People on eBay but the AG dolls, for way more than it's costs in the store or online?

    I just don't understand, does anyone know.

    I'm not trying to be mean I just really want to know because I just don't get it.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member dolllover's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2004
    Posts
    2,583
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think it's either that they don't know you can buy the dolls cheaper, or they are people who live too far away to get AG items shipped directly to them.

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ November 12, 2006 07:19 PM: Message edited by: AGfanatic ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member StephanieS's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 30th, 2006
    Posts
    279
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I understand when people buy dolls that are no longer available from AG- like the white bodies, LE dolls, pre mattel.

    But it seems strange to pay the same or more for the same item you could buy right on ag.com.

    Especially when people buy naked dolls in really bad condition for $60-$70 when they could buy a brand new one for $87 and even return the meet outfit.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member uktmw's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    268
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    AG doesn't ship to all countries so the buyers could be international. Just a guess. [img]graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member craftycarol51's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 29th, 2006
    Posts
    235
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    When it gets close to Christmas I think they list them for more in the hopes that AG will run out and then people will pay anything for that special doll that their daughter wants.

    What I don't understand is why, if they know what they

    need to buy for Christmas, they don't buy it in October or early November the very latest so that they can be assured that they will have the doll. Sort of a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

    In previous years AG has been poor at predicting how many of a particular doll they would sell (or outfit) and not wanting to be stuck with items that didn't sell, they wind up with the situation of people having to buy through eBay.

    I am happy that this hasn't happened too often in the past few years and I always hope that people who buy up this merchandise will get stuck with it.

    I was looking on eBay tonight and saw several of Addy's Striped Dresses which have been available thru AG for around $10 forever. Now people are trying to sell them on eBay for $35. They may be able to do just that, but in a few years. I hope that everyone who wanted that dress got it thru AG.

    I hope this helps answer the question. Of course the other reason is that some people don't know that it is so easy to call American Girl, get a catalog and order directly. I hope that situation ends too.

    The other thing is when people list on eBay that something is retired when it isn't. Always check with AG first if you're not sure.

    Merry Christmas to all!!

  6. #6
    Inactive Member craftycarol51's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 29th, 2006
    Posts
    235
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've seen on the Hostboard that people have trouble getting things in Australia. That is something to consider.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member lonie's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2006
    Posts
    218
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think that sellers also have to consider the ebay listing and final value fees in addition to Paypal fees when they list a doll or outfit. It costs just $87 plus shipping but when you figure in all the other costs, the doll is actually more. But as a buyer I would rather purchase a Mattel doll directly from AG. It does seem silly to pay extra off ebay.

    SimplySophia, I love your siggy picture!

  8. #8
    Inactive Member NHmommyx2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2006
    Posts
    22
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Some people live out of the country and only have paypal to pay for purchases. AG does not accept paypal.

    shipping from AG is also limited- many Americans live overseas and cannot get the items directly form AG

  9. #9
    Inactive Member SimplySophia's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 9th, 2006
    Posts
    140
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Princess Kailey:
    I think that sellers also have to consider the ebay listing and final value fees in addition to Paypal fees when they list a doll or outfit. It costs just $87 plus shipping but when you figure in all the other costs, the doll is actually more. But as a buyer I would rather purchase a Mattel doll directly from AG. It does seem silly to pay extra off ebay.

    SimplySophia, I love your siggy picture!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks, I'm going to change it to a different christmas one, with all the girls in thier Christmas outfits I just need to wait for Ariel's Christmas dress.

  10. #10
    Donna Cotterman
    Guest Donna Cotterman's Avatar

    Post

    As a seller, I really believe that many people are familiar with e-bay but don't take the time to research www.americangirl.com or to google and find the stores. They have an e-bay account and a pay pal account and that's all they need.

    Even estate sellers don't know what they are selling. E-bay is a garage sale and buyers and sellers that aren't knowledgeable make up a large percentage of the clientele.

    I had time to research the dolls and seek out bargains. Many people do not and only want to make sure that they get the doll and be finished with their shopping. Money doesn't seem to be the main motivation with these buyers.

    Again, "Buyer Beware" is a good suggestion for e-bay and any market online or off.
    Good Luck with your bidding and do have fun where ever you shop. Great Bargains is my wish for all. ^j^ Mrs.C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •